BirdsEye BirdLog: Upload eBird checklists from the field

March 23, 2012

Hey, this product was just released in the iTunes store.  It’s the long awaited app by the BirdsEye folks that allows you to complete and submit eBird checklists while in the field.

This is not intended to be an endorsement or a review.  I haven’t been contacted to offer either, but it looks like an interesting app.  I know the eBird folks have been talking about this as the potential game-changer, something that will encourage even more people to give eBird a try.

I wonder though, how flagged species will be handled, both as a note to the user that a species or number is worth taking a second look at at, and also how the user can submit additional information.  As an eBird reviewer both of those, but particularly that last one, is important.

If anyone purchases it I’d love to hear what you have to say about it.

1. March 23, 2012 12:24 pm

I’m very excited about this app! I’ll start using it today.

2. jasonforb permalink
    March 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Did my lunchtime walk with it today. Initial impression is that it’s good for short walks but I’m not sure I’d use it on a busy day. Probably good for a hawk or sea watch too. Short a few features from being really killer but I imagine those will come in time.

3. jasonforb permalink
    March 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Presuming wordpress ate this comment before, but tried it over lunch. For short trips with not a ton of birds (or stationary things like hawkwatches), it looks great. I don’t think I’d want to use it for a big day in the middle of migration.
    Seems to be short a couple features from being really killer, but I imagine those are in progress.

4. pbelardo permalink
    March 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Nate – I got it today and played with it a bit. There is a confirmation checkbox that appears for rarities or high counts, just like the real ebird site. It’s the checkmark that you see in the left screen above.

So far, so good. I entered one check list from my armchair, but haven’t tried it in the field.

5. March 25, 2012 11:00 am

I had written this post last week and was holding it for when I didn’t have time or material to post, but I have been using the app for a little over a month with good experience. Very easy to use and quick too! http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/DDolan1075/2012/03/25/birdseye-log/

6. April 3, 2012 10:55 am

Also note that this app is available for Android devices.

7. Biscuit permalink
    April 7, 2012 7:17 am

Nate – Hard for me to even try the app. $20 isn’t cheap enough for me to “check it out”. $10 for the N.A. version. I’m an avid birder who is (was) hugely brand loyal for BirdsEye. But at this price for a customer of existing product, I just can’t stomach forking out that amount of money for what others don’t think is a killer app. I’ll wait until their “introductory price” falls a bit.