Hey! Look at these blogs!

October 19, 2010

Two additional place you’ll be able to find me writing on a semi-regular basis.

First, I’m part of the illustrious team put together at the ABA blog, writing a weekly (or bi-weekly) compendium of examples of stellar bloggitude I’m calling “Blog Birding”.  Feel free to mock the name, but offer suggestions to make it better too, huh?

Second, I’m one of the new beat writers at the bird super-blog 10,000 Birds, where I will be writing on the Southeast and general birding culture stuff.

Neither of these new gigs will prevent me from writing here at The Drinking Bird just in case you’re wondering, though some posts that would have once been here will likely show up at 10k Birds now (but let’s be honest, you all read them anyway so it’s not that big of a deal), but it does cause me to pause to wonder how I can make this “bird writing” thing pay since I’m doing so much of it these days, but anyway…

Am I spreading myself too thin?  Time will tell of course, but neither of these were opportunities I could really turn down.  The winner then is you, dear reader, for more opportunities to get Drinking Birded.

Look behind you, for I AM EVERYWHERE!

1. October 19, 2010 9:37 am

Congrats! I look forward to the new columns.

Have you ever submitted anything for publication in one of the birding magazines? It won’t pay enough to make a living, but it would be something. And you’re definitely a good enough writer for it.

2. October 19, 2010 11:56 am

Great move!

3. October 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Did anyone tried to subscribe to the ABA blog through google reader. Maybe it’s just me, but It does not work. I have about 30-40 other blogs I susccribed to, and I never had any issues with it

4. October 19, 2010 12:48 pm

Hey that’s awesome! Glad to hear and looking forward to seeing more of your witty posts.

October 19, 2010 1:46 pm

@Grant- I was approached to write a short piece for Birder’s World and published this past spring. That was cool, but I haven’t submitted any longer form stuff though I’ve been considering it.

@Laurent- I had to do it a couple times. When I went through my google reader I was only getting some of the posts, but when I went to the ABA site, and followed the link at the bottom right, I was able to get everything.

@Pat- Thanks!

6. October 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Congrats man!

7. Lena Gallitano permalink
    October 19, 2010 6:13 pm

That’s fantastic, Nathan!

8. October 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Hey N8, congratulations! You trying to get your name out there so you can run for some office or position? Colorado Springs is a great place to raise a kid! Just kidding, but I’d think that you would do a great job if that were the case. What’s with the expansion of mega blogs these days?

9. October 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Glad you’re writing with us!

And congrats on that ABA gig too.

10. October 22, 2010 7:29 am

Congratulations on your new gigs; they are well-deserved. You write consistently strong and thought-provoking essays on the birding life. As for the monetization thing, good luck. I have yet to figure that one out myself…