So I got this camera…

April 23, 2010

Last summer, on my second blogoversary, I laid out my future plans for this little corner of the interwebs.  Over the next year, I stated, I would try to do two things.  First, I’d migrate to a wordpress theme that I had hoped would make my blog look a tad more professional and serious.  Not that blogger didn’t necessarily do those things when the content is what is most important anyway, but wordpress gave me more options.  When I made the switch last September I lost a lot of traffic initially as I’ve had to build my google mojo back up again, but my regular readers, to whom I am eternally grateful, followed me over and things are moving in a direction that I’m happy with.  WordPress is not perfect, but the long-term prospects are significantly better. So, mission accomplished!

Second, I promised that I would be looking into a DSLR to allow me to take some photos of birds for display on this weblog.  I have had so many opportunities over the years to take cool photos of things I see if I only had the equipment and the talent to do it.  Well, I’m happy to say I’ve taken the first step down that path.   I’ve pulled the trigger on an well-reviewed entry level Canon Rebel and a basic zoom lens (which is probably going to be the first thing I replace if this DSLR thing works out).  They should both arrive early next week at which point I will begin posting what will no doubt be sketchy photos of birds I see along with diatribes on the trials and travails of  digital photography.  I expect I’ll be sharing this journey with you all, as it seems that’s what I do.

Am I excited? Yes!  Am I prepared to be initially frustrated?  Of course!  But just as in my switch to wordpress I think the long-term prospects are good.  And I’m looking forward to having the opportunity to share what I see with the world in a way I haven’t been able to since I began this blog.

So cool new developments, people!  And starting soon!

1. April 23, 2010 10:19 am

Cool, Nate! Good choice, too, as I’m a big Canon fanatic (basic rule of digital cameras: you stick what you start with, so all I’ve ever used are Canons).

Sure, you’ll hit some walls and you’ll kick yourself thinking it’ll never work the way you want it to, but I really think you’ll fly over those hurdles with no trouble. Practice and time–those are the keys. I can’t wait to see your progress and results!

2. Kim permalink
    April 23, 2010 10:34 am

Congrats! I’m looking forward to seeing pictures!

April 23, 2010 11:34 am

@Jason- I’m looking forward to it. Not only for nature photography, but for family shots too. For both the shutter lag was unacceptable, and as the Canon is known for a fast shutter (so I read) it seemed a natural fit.

@Kim- Me too!

4. April 23, 2010 7:37 pm

I second the kudos on camera choice: I went with Canon and am enjoying it immensely. What lens did you go with? I wound up with two: a 400mm fixed for wildlife photography (who am I kidding, bird shots!) and an 18 – 200mm zoom as a “walking around” lens.

Can’t wait to see your forays into wildlife (and other) photography, and especially to hear about your experiences and what you learn over time . . . when I eventually start posting on a regular basis (when, not if!) I intend to focus some posts on photography.
    -Mike

April 23, 2010 8:19 pm

@Mike- You know, part of the reason I went with Canon was because so many bird bloggers I trust shoot with it. I count you in that number.

The camera itself came with an 18-55mm, which I hope will be good for family and regular photos, and I got a 75-300mm zoom to try and do some birds. We’ll see how it works, but a 400mm fix would be the ultimate, or at least a higher quality 75-300mm.

6. April 24, 2010 10:31 pm

I recently just purchased an Olympus E-620 dSLR which came with two lenses up to 150mm. I recognize that I need 300mm+. I went with Olympus mainly because the lens prices are so much less than Canon and Nikon. It has been fun. Also, tapping into the bird and nature photographer community really boosts web traffic. There are a lot of helpful photogs out there!

I’m excited to see the photos you get!

7. April 24, 2010 11:42 pm

I just got a Canon, and I’m loving it!

April 25, 2010 11:36 am

@Robert- I have a friend who shoots with an Olympus and takes some phenomenal photos.

@Mama Zen- Great to hear! I’m waiting with baited breath till mine arrives in the mail!

9. April 26, 2010 10:41 am

You got my camera model.
    Look at my photos: you are DOOMED!!

No, no, the camera is a very fine choice. I got myself a Sigma 70-300 which for the money it cost is very fine value as well. However, you will want to upgrade to a better lens as soon as possible.