Babies

May 18, 2009

For the last few weeks I’ve been anxiously following the progress made by the pair of Red-shouldered Hawks that set up shop in the grove of trees behind my house. The once three nestlings, then two, now three again (the second was, for a long time, hiding behind its nestmates) have grown from fluffy heads barely peeking over the edge of the nest to large and in charge birds perched on the lip, screaming at anything with wings that gets too close, and giving me the raptor eye when I pull out my scope to check on or photograph them.

It won’t be long, then, before the three are clamoring around the pine trees, testing out their wings, and ideally making for much better photographic subjects. I’m looking forward to it.

Perhaps it’s appropriate then, that as the Shoulders are busy with the business of the next generation of birds, I find myself in charge of, hopefully, the next generation of birders.

Dear readers, I introduce to you. Noah Swick.

He came to us this weekend after a truly heroic labor effort from my wife and will likely be the reason why I’m not as up on my blog for the next couple weeks or so. I’ve got some things I’ve already written back in the pipeline I can use, but as for new content. It’ll be just a bit. Bear with me. I promise I’ll be back soon. Which is more than can be said for one of my colleagues

1. nishiki_85 permalink
    May 18, 2009 9:09 am

Congratulations to you and your wife. Without saying, you’ll be busy, so take your time coming back. You (or should I say your wife) deserve it.

2. Jochen permalink
    May 18, 2009 10:00 am

HURRAH!
    Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!

You promise to be back soon?
    Which is more than can be said for one of your colleagues?

Well, Nate, just you wait, just you wait.

IF and HOW you’ll be back is not in your hands anymore. It is fully in the hands of Noah, whose hands will look tiny now but will be the most powerful hands in your life. He now rules your universe, he will conquer all you have and all you are.
    He will surely leave some of your life for yourself to use, and you’ll surely be able to fit some of your former existence into that little space. How large that space will be for the next couple of years is yet to be decided (by Noah).
    However, the size of your little private lot will not matter at all, it will be merely a detail in the face of experiencing the wonders of a world with a child in it. So I congratulate you for allowing yourself and your life to be conquered by the miracle of life.
    And his hands are tiny, aren’t they?
    Those little fingers?
    Amazing.

3. noflickster permalink
    May 18, 2009 11:26 am

Congrats to the two of you, and extended family, and welcome to Noah!

Obviously, “soon” is a relative term, one you chose wisely. I believe you’ll be back before, say, Halley’s Comet returns again. Take your time and enjoy your new life!

Best,
    Mike

4. Christopher permalink
    May 18, 2009 12:56 pm

Congratulations to Danielle and you both! Noah is beautiful, and I'm so glad that all are happy and healthy. The blog, as great as it is, should certainly be relegated to the back-burner as you both enjoy this wonderful next stage in your lives. We'll be here when you decide to return to it – but I certainly hope that updates will not only be about politics & birds, but also include Noah updates as well. (Perhaps start posts about his life birds?)
    Best wishes!
    Christopher

5. gwendolen permalink
    May 19, 2009 1:49 am

Congratulations, Nate. 🙂

6. Nate permalink
    May 19, 2009 7:57 am

@all- Thanks so much, we really appreciate the kind words. I certainly don’t intend to stop birding and as writing about it has become a natural extension of my time in the field,the blog will undoubtedly go on.

7. Becky D permalink
    May 19, 2009 9:30 am

Congratulations!!!

8. forestal permalink
    May 20, 2009 8:06 am

Congratulations, beautiful boy !!

9. Kyle permalink
    May 26, 2009 4:16 pm

Congratulations, Nate!! He’s certainly a handsome little drinking-birdlet.