Wait, so they’ve got a new Hampshire now?

January 26, 2009

On Friday morning, Patrick, Corey, and Quintus picked me up at the Providence, Rhode Island, airport on their way up to meet Christopher for Mass Audubon’s annual SuperBowl of Birding. As I write this I’ve only just gotten home at nearly midnight. When it posts, on Monday morning, I’ll probably still be asleep, a well deserved morning in after the blistering cold wind that this southerner hasn’t experienced in a good long time.

But before the actual competition got going, Christopher had a table-setter for us. An appropriately delicious appetizer to get us ready for the weekend of birding ahead. Nearly as soon as we got to the hotel we packed up scopes and headed a couple hours north into New Hampshire, and when we got there, what was waiting for us almost made the entire trip worth it by itself, at least for me.

I’ll unpack a short run-down and my thoughts on the competition, my attempt at live-blogging it, and those fellow bloggers I spent the weekend with, in the next couple days.

But in the meantime, check it out. This Northern Hawk-Owl was practically an exhibitionist.

Yeah, that’s a good start.

1. Owlman permalink
    January 26, 2009 9:06 am

Wake up! Awesome pics N8. The Hawk owl sure was showing off – great times indeed.

2. Jochen permalink
    January 26, 2009 11:00 am

Sometimes I just HATE being 6 hours (roughly) ahead of North American east coast time.

WAKE UP !
    WRITE !
    BLOG !

FEED ME !!

3. Picus permalink
    January 26, 2009 11:51 am

Hey Nate,
    Ignore those guys, after this crazy weekend of no-stop birding, AND all the travelling, you deserve to sleep in as late as possible. I’m jealous – been at work since 6:30 myself, and am simply exhausted!

4. Owlman permalink
    January 26, 2009 12:01 pm

N8, check out my new garden bird at my blog! Don’t hate the playa hate the game…

Also please email me your cell number.

5. noflickster permalink
    January 26, 2009 12:11 pm

Nice shots of a great bird! The first bird I ever digiscoped was a hawk-owl. I wish I’d practiced on some more common species first, but it was pretty cool regardless. Looking forward to your recounting of the weekend, and glad you survived your trip North. Hopefully it didn’t put you off future trips to our fair part of the country.
    -Mike

6. January 26, 2009 3:05 pm

@Picus, Jochen – I’m not being completely worthless. I’ve got some Swainson’t Warbler nesting tapes to watch.

@Owlman – I can’t believe you got the x-bills in your yard. But I won’t be really impressed till you get a Black Guilliemot.

@mike- It certainly didn’t put me off. Now I know I can survive!