The end of birding as I know it

November 10, 2008

The news on the home front is big. My wife and I will soon be experiencing the biggest thing to come along and change the way we do things that one couple could probably experience.

Yup, we’re having a baby.

And being the modern web-savvy individual that I am, and as we both have family and friends strung all across the nation, we started a blog about it, Danielle’s Baby Bump.

If you’re a regular here, you are of course more than welcome to share in the journey. Though if the prospect of a pregnancy/mommy blog doesn’t do anything for you, and I certainly can’t blame you for that, I’ll still be posting regularly here and, of course, at the Nature Blog Network Blog.

Things probably wont get too crazy around here for another six months or so, which just so happens to correspond with spring migration. I suppose that’s a bridge I’ll cross when I come to it.

It will undoubtedly affect my field time, but the prospect of a young birder who might not roll its eyes at my getting out quite as much as its future mother is kind of exciting.

Anyway, that’s about that. Back to your regularly scheduled bird posts tomorrow.

1. Jochen permalink
    November 10, 2008 8:51 am

HURRAH, now that’s big news!!!

Congrats, Nate!!! Oh, and congrats Danielle, of course.

However, if you look at the development of my blog (which mirrors my birding activity), you may find that the baby is not the end of birding as you know it but the end of birding.
    For awhile, at least, until your offspring is old enough to tell mom to slow down during her races so that the birding time with dad is expanded.

2. corey permalink
    November 10, 2008 9:19 am

Congratulations!

Though if you go the way of Jochen I will be deeply disappointed…

It’s time to start a birding parents support group or something!

3. Greg permalink
    November 10, 2008 9:26 am

Of course, I discovered the world of birding BECAUSE of my progeny. I thought I’d have a baseball player! 🙂

The power of a child to unleash your sense of wonder cannot be underestimated. Who knows what you’ll be into in another 12 years? I know you’ll be great at uncovering and nourishing his/her gifts, and I’d bet that nature will work her magic on that special child!

Grandpa 🙂

4. Jochen permalink
    November 10, 2008 9:53 am

@ Corey: you’re next in line, so choose your words with care and wisdom ;-))

5. Sky Girl permalink
    November 10, 2008 11:27 am

I’m so happy for you! This is big. My kids started identifying birds by sight and call as early as age 2, so don’t give up. I have lost a lot of field time, though. At 3 and 5, they are old enough to get out and enjoy birding some now. They even have field guides!

6. Christopher permalink
    November 10, 2008 11:32 am

Congratulations to you both!!!

On the other (and possibly more optimistic) side of the coin, I can tell you that a good friend who is on his first child still gets out and reports regularly – he has just changed his locations. Walks with the baby (and even with the dog) still turn up fantastic sightings. (And I’m sure are creating a budding birder.)

7. Owlman permalink
    November 10, 2008 11:49 am

Yeeha, great news Nate! Birding with little ankle biters running around can be a challenge, but I’m sure you’re up for it.

8. noflickster permalink
    November 10, 2008 12:08 pm

Congratulations! Great news!

In your future, in addition to learning to function on very little sleep and becoming nearly immune to poopy diapers, I predict a decrease in general birding for sure, but a vast increase from around your immediate residence. To wit, the frequency of my yard lists skyrocketed in 2004, my bird feeder expanded into a rather elaborate feeding station, we’ve been planting native, bird-attracting plants by the dozens (hundreds?), and we’re maintaining a small trail of nest boxes.

I’ve expanded my interest to everything that occurs in our yard, meaning I’m more versed on butterflies and odonates, skinks and snakes, voles and deer mice.

And all of it, done with your son or daughter, blows away even the greatest of bird chases.

But we’re getting close to being able to chase with Reina: she already expressed interest in seeing a Snowy Owl this winter. As Dr. Evil would say, “Tear.”

I figure I have until she’s about 11 before I, and birding, become rabidly uncool. Enjoy every minute of it, everyone who says it goes by too fast is dead on.

Best to you and the fam!
    -Mike

9. cyberthrush permalink
    November 10, 2008 3:17 pm

‘hmmm… let’s see, spring migration, or… having a baby… what to do, what to do…’ — Luv it! you’re a true birder!!
    Oh, and yes, congratulations!!!

10. November 10, 2008 4:21 pm

@all – Oh man, I go out birding for the day and come back to this.

Thanks guys!

If there any wonder that the Big Year this year was the right decision?

11. Will permalink
    November 10, 2008 5:16 pm

Congratulations!

Since I have two kids and by the looks of my poor blog, kids do get in the way of birding. Its sad, but it happens. On the plus side, you do get to buy every single toy you ever wanted as a kid, that your parents wouldn’t let you have :).

12. John permalink
    November 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Congratulations and good luck!

13. Wren permalink
    November 10, 2008 8:54 pm

Congratulations, N8. The world needs more birders and bloggers. Thanks for doing your part!