The single-issue voter: A birder’s look at Fred Thompson – R – OUT

September 27, 2007

It’s that time again. As civic-minded individuals do, I’m oft interested in how the platforms of those running for president affect my life, that’s as a birder naturally. With so many candidates and elections still more than a year off I decided to do the work so you, dear reader(s), don’t have to. So here’s what I hope will be a regular look as those who would be birder-in-chief. Starting with the long-shots and working my way up so that you all will be prepared when the time comes to cast your ballot. The fourteenth part of The Drinking Bird’s sixteen part series.

Even though he only jumped into the race last month, Fred Thompson has been polling high for the last year as he played a coy little “will he or won’t he” game with Republican voters. Well, looks like he will and with his announcement he’s brought the cold unblinking eye of The Drinking Bird upon him. Still glad you made that decision, Fred? Voters will have to decide whether an uneventful Senate career coupled with some time on a mildly popular television show do a president make, because there’s really not a lot out there on Thompson’s positions. And I don’t mean just on the bird ones, I mean on anything.

According to his campaign website, Thompson is interested in a cleaner environment through advanced technology. That’s the environmental platform folks, I’m not kidding, check it out. Reduce CO2 emissions? Advanced technology will do it. Alternative energy sources? Why, that’s just the problem for advanced technology. Efficiency and conservation? How about the technology of the future, that do anything for you? Maybe if we go back further…

As a Senator from Tennessee (Al Gore’s replacement interestingly enough) Thompson voted for drilling in ANWR, for a nuclear waste depository at Yucca Mountain, Nv, and against CAFE standards for autos. So there you go. Quite the record.

Sorry this is so short, well, only a little sorry, but there’s really nothing out there about Thompson. In his time as an actor he effectively got by without having to take a stand on anything. What you have as a savior for the GOP is a guy with no platform (he’s pro-freedom though!) but who was on TV just like Reagan so he must be cool. I can’t believe he’s doing as well as he is, but he really hasn’t had to do anything yet so he’s still a mysterious glossy new fancy figure with a bow on top that many on the GOP side seems to love. But does anyone know anything about this guy? Will we ever?

Next Tuesday: Hill-raisin’

Update 1/23/08 – Thompson has thankfully, mercifully dropped out of the race. Good riddance.

1. Winghunter permalink
    September 27, 2007 1:04 pm

Some of your “dear readers” have done a helluva lot more work than you pretended to do here Tweety.

First, Fred wasn’t coy about anything. He asked us if we wanted him to run where we gladly worked our rearends off to make sure he heard us respond in a very loud YES!!

Next, where did your little nonblinking eye actually look for Fred’s positions? Maybe it was your favorite bathroom magazine but, it sure wasn’t on the internet;

Fredipedia –

ABC Radio Network Archives – The Fred Thompson Report

Principles of Fred Thompson

Incidentally, your mentioning Fred was overwhelmingly elected to the Senate after Gore left wasn’t exactly the smartest political point to bring up for your…argument. Though, I enjoyed the laugh.

I normally don’t bother taking aim at little liberal looney birds much less bother with shooting them down but, in your case you just made it so easy.

2. September 27, 2007 5:01 pm

Wow, um, did you actually make an argument? Or refute any of the allegations I made? Any of them? No?

Incidentally, not that your comment is really worth a response, but I went to the so-called official Fred Thompson campaign site. Then, finding little on Thompson’s environmental platform, that’s what my blog is about by the way (you may have missed that), I went to his environmental voting record as a Senator.

Not one of the sites you attach addresses the allegations I made about Thompson’s environmental platform. So why should I use them? Granted I’m looking at them through my loony eyes so I may have missed something. Care to point it out? No? Just going to blow smoke and name-call? Your loss.

I mean come on, the Ron Paul guys stayed on point.

3. Greg permalink
    September 28, 2007 11:56 am

You know, Fred is going to have to have some intelligent backers to get anywhere in this campaign. Therefore, and unfortunately for him, it is very clear that Winghunter is not the type of advocate he needs.

And, if Thompson’s own website cannot be relied upon to convey his environmental positions any better than it does, I’m definitely not going to rely upon blogs for it.

His voting record is the only clear indicator, and, as far as I’m concerned, it speaks volumes.

4. September 28, 2007 12:19 pm

Too true, Winghunter is nothing more than an internet tough guy who hides behind a quasi-anonymous handle, spews bile on someone’s blog, then never comes back to defend his allegations. A coward, in short.

Thompson has no environmental platform of any substance, if winghunter cares to address that he’s welcome to. I suspect he won’t though because he would then be required to make a cogent argument without petty insults. I’d be more than willing to keep giving him the rope to do that though…

5. Mary Helen permalink
    September 28, 2007 1:09 pm

Checked out winghunter’s blog. Wow.

6. Winghunter permalink
    September 29, 2007 11:13 pm

Again Nathaniel??
    Did you honestly think I would wait around for a response that you should’ve learned from initially.
    I didn’t dream you were without any semblance of reason or I might have stuck around to point it out to you for a second time.

I and close to 300 Million Americans of this country have our list of priorities which includes the environment but, it’s rather low on the critical issues we now face as a nation and nearly last of the important questions we must ask of a candidate at this point in time.

Allegations?
    You made no allegations other than regurgitating a voting record which you don’t have any idea of what they entail other than at face value. You confessed often that you didn’t know what the man stands for because you said you couldn’t find anything while you drooled your whiney little nothings of smear…and where your narrative of ignorance clearly didn’t isolate the subject to environmental issues.
    Don’t step off the porch if you don’t like playin’ with the big dogs.

As a hunter for many years I’ve directly and continuously contributed to our environment and as a group we have contributed on a scale not equaled by anyone or any other group in the entire country… Yes, that would include you and your open beak.

So, lets quickly re-cap;

You don’t know when to keep your beak shut and when you do open it you can’t remember what you said. The information you feigned at not having was provided to you and you still whined like a little girl. It has been shown to you that you had no excuse for what you drooled but, instead of acknowledging it and moving on you took the spineless way out by becoming indignant. Two words Nate; self-accountability.

Which reminds me, did you know that when it rains quail raise their heads skyward to see what’s hitting them on the head and thereby, drown themselves. This is a perfect parallel for you Drinkingbird.

I won’t bother with your other risible aspersions save for one, “cowardice”. It is very easily revealed…Step up for the title shot anytime you feel the urge to look up and see what’s hitting you on the head…and Greg is more than welcome to accompany you or offer his own invitation.

Have Reality Will Travel.

7. September 30, 2007 10:03 am

Oh wingy, I am glad you came back, you’re good for a laugh. I’ll address some of your comments:

it’s rather low on the critical issues

That’s irrelevant, I chose to focus on it on my environmental blog, that’s enough. If you want to talk about more “important” issues, you’re welcome to go elsewhere to do that, it’s not the topic of my blog. You’re trying to change the subject.

Is there more I should do? His voting record with regards to environmental issues shows he places his priorities elsewhere. That’s as indicative as anything he could say publically on the topic. If there’s a disconnect between how he voted as a Senator and what he’s saying now, then that says just as much.

I can’t and won’t deny that hunters have a great deal of impact on funds for habitat conservation and management in this country. I’m thankful for the land that I and others use that they’ve helped protect.

The rest of your comment is bunch of internet tough guy, bullying nonsense. You failed to address any of the issues I brought up, instead you want to place the blame on me for not finding what’s not there on your links. Neither have you made a single on-topic point, preferring just to rant about semantics and try to intimidate. I’m not the first one to become indignant, only responding to an ignorant, mean-spirited comment. You’re all smoke and no fire, hiding behind the veil of your internet pseudonym. How’s that for accountability?